Beef and peppers in black bean sauce is an all time classic Chinese dish. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t tried this dish before. If you haven’t then you are seriously missing out!
If you have made this dish at home using a jar of black bean sauce that you bought from the supermarket. Then I’m sorry to have to tell you this but that isn’t the way Chinese people cook it at home. It was concocted mainly for the convenience of Westerners.
Fermented black beans…
Yes that’s right! We use fermented black beans. These beans are the ancestor of the soy sauce and they are the oldest recorded soy food in Chinese history.
Fermented black beans needs to be rinsed water before using. This is done to get rid of the excess salt.
Beef and peppers in black bean sauce is such a simple dish to make. I am confident that once you discover the new way of cooking this dish you will never go back to using a jar ever again.
How to Make Beef and Peppers in Black Bean Sauce Video
Beef and Peppers in Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- 200g rump steak (sliced)
- 2 peppers (cut into squares)
- 1 onions (cut into squares)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp of water
- 1tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 red chilli (sliced)
- 1 tbsp of fermented black bean
- 1 tsp of shoaxing wine
- pinch of salt
- 1tsp of cornflour mix with 1tsp of water
- few drops of sesame oil
- Add the ingredients for the marinade and the beef in a bowl. Mix well and leave aside
- Add the fermented black bean in a bowl of water. Give the black beans a quick clean and then pour the water away.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the wok and stir-fry the beef. Once the beef is browned then add it to a plate for later
- Add another 1tbsp of oil to the wok and start frying the garlic, chilli and black beans for a few seconds
- Add the onions and fry for a few seconds
- Add the peppers and fry for a few minutes
- Add the beef back in to the wok
- Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Fry for a few minutes
- Add 1 tbsp of water and give it a good stir.
- Serve immediately
02 Add an extra tbsp of water if you need to