When you think of a dim sum dish; I bet the first thing that comes to your mind is – dumplings! I can understand as there is always a good selection of dumplings on the menu. But there are also other dim sum dishes such as steamed spare ribs in black bean sauce that are just as tasty. If you haven’t tried it before then make sure you order it next time. The only restaurants that will serve this dish are mostly located in Chinatown. Places like Ping Pong and DimT do not have this on their menu.
So how do I make it?
It is pretty easy to make. All you do is throw all the ingredients together. Give it a good mix and then marinate it over night if possible or for at least 8 hours. Next day just steam it for around 35 minutes.
One thing I would like to suggest is to buy your spare ribs from the butcher rather than off the shelf. Most supermrakets will have a butcher section. If you are lucky enough to have a butcher on your high street then even better. As they would be able to give you better advice on the perfect ribs to buy. The ribs should be meaty and fresh. The other good thing is that if your chopping skill is nil then you can ask your butcher to chop the sparer ribs up for you.
- Try not to use the spare ribs that are already packaged up.
- Steam the ribs in batches (approx 2).
- Ensure that the wok has water at all times. Never let the water dry out.
- Gluten Free – Use dry sherry instead of shaoxing wine.
- You can also use a stainless steal steamer or electric steamer
Let me know how you get on. Happy cooking! 🙂
Step 1 – Rinse the fermented black beans in cold water before adding it to the mixture
Step 2 – Add all the ingredients to the spare ribs. Give it a good mix. Cover and marinate in the fridge preferably overnight or 8 hours.
Step 3 – Fill the wok with 1/3 water. Place the spare ribs inside a bamboo steamer. Cover and then add it to the wok. Cook the spare ribs on medium heat for 35 mins.
- 600 grams pork spareribs (chopped into 2.5 - 3cm lengths)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of shoaxing wine/ dry sherry
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 2 tsp of potato starch
- 2 tsp of fermented black bean
- 1 large red chilli (deseeded)
- 1 tbsp of garlic (minced)
- pinch of pepper
- 01. Add all the ingredients together and give it a good mix.
- 02. Cover and marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours
- 03. Fill a wok with 1/3 water. Add the spareribs to a bamboo steamer and place on top of the wok
- 04. Cook on medium heat for 35 mins
- Rinse the fermented black beans in cold water. Pour the water and add the beans to the spareribs along with all the other ingredients
- Ensure that the wok does not dry out. If the water level becomes too low then add some more in.