I first came across this dessert whilst studying for my degree at Queen Mary’s (University of London). It was in my final year and I was living in Whitechapel at the time. I remember that year being one of my saddest and stressful time. It was the first time I ever lived away from home and even though I knew it would only be for a year – I still felt lonely and anxious. My flatmates were great but they weren’t always around. Also, we shared a flat above some clothing factory which happened to be located in a dark alley. It was infested with mice and there were mice droppings everywhere. I even found it on my bed! It was such an awful time. Why did I live there? I hear you say. Well, the rent was cheap. £240 a month for a single room was the cheapest in the area.
Ok. Why am I telling you all this? Well, it was at this time that I would always buy this dessert from Sainsbury’s (large supermarket in the UK). The price was 2 for £2, which is a bargain when you have no money. I would peel off the plastic cover; put it on a plate and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute and then let it stand for 1 minute. Once I took my first bite, all my worries just went away… It was my comfort food for that year. It continues to be my comfort food even now, especially when I’m having a pretty s**t day.
If you have been following my blog then you will know that I have started following a wheat free diet. Which means that I’ve had to stop purchasing this dessert from the supermarket and make it at home. I was like a mad woman in the kitchen. Imagine a female version of Albert Einstein with black hair – that was me. I tried and tested this dessert so many times. Even I was sick of this dessert by the end of the experiment.
Anyway, I’m glad I did as I get to share it with you lovely people.
Happy Cooking! 🙂 Please let me know how it goes. I love to hear about it!
- 100g dark chocolate
- 105g butter
- ½ tsp of orange flavouring
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 75g of sugar
- 1tbsp of gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 180 celsius for fan assist oven
- Melt the 100g dark chocolate and 100g butter using a bain-marie
- Once melted, add the orange flavour and stir
- Pour the melted chocolate into a bowl and set it to one side to cool
- Whisk the egg and sugar together
- Wipe the ramekins with the extra butter
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk
- Sieve the flour into the chocolate and egg mixture and fold
- Put it in the oven and cook for 10mins.
01. Prepare the ingredients. 02. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of water. 03. Add in the orange flavouring once the chocolate has melted and stir. 04. Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool.
05. Whisk the egg and sugar together. 06. Wipe 4 ramekins with the extra butter. 07. Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk.
08. Sieve the flour into the chocolate and egg mixture and fold. 09. Pour it into the ramekins and cook in the oven for 10 mins at 180 celsius (fan-assisted oven).
Make sure that the chocolate has completely cooled before adding it to the egg mixture. If it is still warm it will start cooking the egg mixture.