I look forward to eating pomelo salad whenever I am in Thailand or Vietnam. It’s so refreshing, especially when the weather is hot!
Pomelo is very similar in appearance to the grapefruit and it’s very popular in Southeast Asia. The pomelos sold here in the UK are usually green with white flesh and thick rind pith. You would usually discard the rind pith before eating it.
What’s in Pomelo Salad…
Pomelo salad is such a simple salad packed with so many flavours. You have the sweet and sour taste from the chunks of fresh pomelo, the savoury of the king prawns and then a tangy, salty and sweet dressing is poured all over the salad. Before you garnish it with mint leaves, crushed peanuts, crispy shallots, sliced spring onions and some fresh chopped chillies. If you are making other food dishes as well then the salad should be assemble at the last minute. As it’s one of those salad that taste good only if eaten straight away.
Video coming soon!
- 1 Pomelo (peeled)
- 1 shallot (sliced)
- 8 King Prawns
- 1 lime (squeezed)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 chopped red thai chilli
- 1 spring onions (sliced)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts (chopped)
- Make the dressing and set to one side
- Shallow fry the shallots
- Fry the prawns until they are cooked
- Peel the pomelo skin and tear the fresh and add to a bowl
- Add the shallots, prawns and dressing. Ensure it is mixed well.
- Garnish it with chopped chillies, spring onions and peanuts.
- Serve immediately
- You can save time by using shop bought fried shallots and cooked king prawns
This recipe is: