I would often order salt and pepper spare ribs from my local Chinese takeaway. The smell and taste of the five-spiced spare ribs along with the spiciness of the chillies and the flavour from the spring onions gets me drooling all the time. I knew that they add MSG as no takeaway really functions without it. So one day I decided to order it without msg. Just to see what it really taste like. Surely it couldn’t taste that bad!
It tasted really, really bad! It was bland as hell. But of course I ate it as I hate food going to waste.
Surely, there must be a way to make tantalising salt and pepper spare ribs taste without the use of msg. That came to me once I had made salt and pepper squid. I used the same mixture I used for the squid with the pork. I also noticed that the the one from the takeaway is deep-fried before being fried again with the salt and pepper mixture. However, I decided that I would bake mine before frying to make it an even healthier meal.
Don’t get me wrong! I do love deep-fried food! Who doesn’t? But if there is an alternative without compromising on taste then I will mostly go with the alternative.
Salt and Pepper Video coming soon!
- 700g Spare Ribs
- 2 Tbs of sunflower oil
- 1 japeno pepper (sliced)
- 2 spring onions (cut in 4cm length)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- ½ onion (sliced) (optional)
- 2ml five spice powder
- 2ml sugar
- 1ml salt
- 1ml celery salt
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of white pepper
- Brush 1tbsp of oil on both side of the spare ribs.
- Bake in the oven on 200c or 180c Fan for 15 minutes
- Add all the ingredients for the mixture and give it a good stir
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Add 1tbsp of oil to the wok and heat the cooker to medium
- Add the garlic, chilli and spring onions and stir for a few minutes
- Turn cooker to medium high and add the spare ribs and then 1 tsp of the mixture
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes until the ribs absorbs all the mixture
- Serve Immediately.