Sticky rice (xôi) is a Vietnamese rice dish made with glutinous rice and split level yellow mung beans. There are so many varieties of xoi. Today, I will be showing you how to make xôi đỗ xanh. Which is a savoury sticky rice dish and it’s generally served with crispy fried shallots and gio (Vietnamese sausage). I usually eat this for breakfast or as a snack.
This particular dish can be found anywhere from the street food vendors to the most upmarket restaurants in Vietnam. I would definitely recommend that you try this dish if you do visit Vietnam and make sure you wake up early as the street vendors start selling Xoi as early as 6am.
In order to make this dish, you are going to need a steamer. The mung beans and sticky rice will need to be soaked in water for at least 10 hours. If you do not let it soak for at least 10 hours then the cooking time will take a lot longer.
It looks like a complicated dish but it is so simple to cook. Please follow the steps listed below to find out how easy it is to cook.
If you think that 4 serving is too much then you can always freeze it. I have freezed my sticky rice for up to a month in the past. All I do is steam it for 10 mins from frozen.
If you do make this recipe please tweet it or instagram it using #finchleymum. I would be flattered to see what you have done.
3 cups glutinous rice
1 cup split yellow mung beans
1 tsp of salt
Serves 4 people
01. Soak the mung beans and glutinous rice in water for 10 hours
02. Add 1/3 of the cup of mung beans to the steamer
03. Add 1 cup of the glutinous rice on top of the mung beans and sprinkle some salt over the rice.
04. Repeat steps 02 and 03 until all the ingredient have been used up.
05. Insert holes as shown. This is to ensure that the steam rises up towards the rice and mung beans so that they don’t dry out.
06. Boil the water. I have put some tissue over the side of the pan so that it’s airtight. You do not need to do this if you think your steamer does not let out any air. Unfortunately mine one does. I haven’t got round to buying a new one yet.
07. Add the rice and mung beans on top and steam for 45 mins.
08. It is now ready. Serve with Goi and crispy fried shallots.