I have been meaning to share with you this wonderful vegetarian dish called Vietnamese braised aubergine (Cà tím kho) for a very long time. It’s my ultimate comfort food. My mum usually makes this dish with pork but I have taken her recipe and made it my own by changing some of the ingredients and omitting the pork.
The vegetarian in me…
I’m going to let you in to a secret of mine that I don’t think even my closest friends know it or have noticed it. But there are days when I just want to be a vegetarian. Eating meat is fine but then there are days when I just can’t stomach anymore of it. Do you feel the same too? I kind of think that there are many people that feels the same way like me. Well, I hope there are some people out there. If you are like me then you will always opt for the vegetarian options whenever you have an opportunity to eat out.
But when I get into that vegetarian mode at home then Vietnamese braised aubergine will be a dish I will make in order to get my fix. All I do is eat it with a bowl of rice. It is rather yummy and you know me – I’m just a simple girl at heart.
You have to believe me when I say this is such an easy-awesome-vegetarian-Asian-dish to make. All you do is fry a few basic ingredients and the aubergines then add the stock and simmer for 25 minutes and you are done.
Next time you walk down the vegetable section of your supermarket aisle. Don’t just walk past the aubergines. Pick it up, take it home and make this dish!
Happy cooking! 🙂
Step 1: Sliced the aubergines in to four equal lengths. Then sliced each length into 4 section
Step 2: Add the oil to the pan and cook on medium heat.
Step 3: Add the garlic, chillies and spring onions and fry for 1 minute
Step 4: Add the aubergines and cook for around 2 minutes
Step 5: Add the vegetable stock, fish sauce and sugar
Step 6: Bring to boil and then simmer with lid on for 25 mins
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 Thai red chilli (chopped)
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- 1 egg plant or aubergine (Chopped)
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp brown
- 01. Sliced the aubergines in to four equal lengths. Then sliced each length into 4 section
- 02. Add the oil to the pan and cook on medium heat
- 03. Add the garlic, chillies and half of the spring onions and fry for 1 minute
- 04. Add the aubergines and cook for around 2 minutes
- 05. Add the vegetable stock, fish sauce and sugar
- 06. Bring to boil and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on
- This dish will be enough for two people to eat if there is also another sharing dish as well. Likewise it will be enough for 4 people to share if there was another 3 sharing dishes as well. As you may already know that sharing dishes is a big thing in Asian culture.
- Remember to either remove the chillies or deseed it if you want to make the dish child-friendly.