Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken
I’m quite proud of this dish – Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken. As it’s one that I have concocted on my own. I meant the ingredients not the name :-). Of course, lemongrass chicken is very well known and popular in Southeast Asia. Countries such as Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia all have their own version of this dish.
There are different version of this dish depending on what region you are from in Vietnam. In the South, you will find this dish cooked with coconut juice and in the North they tend to marinate the chicken and grill it.
Thai… (Gai Sai Takrai)
The chicken is marinated with limejuice and fish sauce for an hour. The ingredients are quite similar to the Vietnamese version but instead of using coconut juice they use chicken stock. They also use extra ingredients such as kaffir lime leaves, shallots and spring onions. Also, the Thai version is a lot spicier.
Cambodian… (Cha Kroeung Sach Mon)
There are different versions of this dish in Cambodia. Same as in Vietnam as different regions have their own unique way of cooking this dish. They use a paste called “Kroeung’. Which is a yellow paste made of lemongrass, shallots, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and turmeric. They fry the paste first and then add the chicken so you don’t need to marinate the chicken with this recipe.
I have worked on this dish until I got it right. So after several attempts, I am now sharing with you this recipe. I marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour first so the chicken gets to soak in all flavours of the ingredients. You may have noticed that I added in corn flour to the marinade. This is to soften the chicken. The other secret is to chop the chicken into bite size pieces so you don’t have to fry the chicken for long therefore the chicken stays soft and tender. No one wants to eat dry chicken – right? Lastly, I decided to use coconut juice so that I don’t need to add any sugar to sweeten the dish. So those that are on a sugar-free diet can eat this dish as well. See – I do think about you guys!
If you do make this recipe please tweet it or instagram it using #finchleymum. I would be flattered to see what you have done.
- 300g Chicken breasts (approx 2 breasts)
- 2 garlic gloves (minced)
- 2 lemongrass (minced)
- 1 red bird eye chilli
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/4tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp of fish sauce
- 200g green beans (trimmed)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 cup of coconut juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 01. Add the fish sauce, garlic, lemongrass, cornflour and turmeric to a bowl.
- 02. Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the bowl. Marinate it for at least one hour in the fridge
- 03. Add oil to a pan/wok and fry the onions on medium heat until transparent
- 04. Add the chillies and stir for a few seconds
- 05. Add the chicken and fry until brown on all sides
- 06. Add the green beans, cover the pan/wok and cook for 1 min
- 07. Uncover and add the coconut juice and stir
- 08. Cover the pan/wok and cook for 5 mins
- 09. Serve immediately
- You can add more chillies if you like it to be more spicy. The dish can be eaten either with rice or noodles